Installing a cultured marble shower wall can be an excellent choice when remodeling a bathroom. Cultured marble is an affordable, durable, and attractive material that can provide a sleek and sophisticated finish to your bathroom.
But, to ensure a successful installation, following the proper steps is essential. Here, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide on how to install cultured marble shower walls.
Steps on How To Install Cultured Marble Shower Walls
1. Gather Materials
Before beginning the installation process, gathering all the necessary materials is essential. Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- Cultured marble panels
- Adhesive (such as silicone or construction adhesive)
- Measuring tape
- Saw (such as a circular saw or jigsaw)
- Drill and hole saw
- Safety glasses and gloves
- Cleaning supplies
2. Prepare the Shower Area
Before installing the cultured marble panels, you’ll need to prepare the shower area. This includes:
- Clean the walls thoroughly. Ensure there is no dirt or debris on the walls that could interfere with the adhesive.
- Check that the walls are level. If they are not, use a leveling compound to even out any uneven spots.
- Apply a moisture barrier to the walls. This will help prevent moisture from seeping through the walls and causing damage.
3. Measure the Walls
Before ordering your cultured stone marble panels, measure the walls to ensure you order the correct amount. Here’s how to do it:
- Measure the height of the shower wall from the base to the ceiling.
- Measure the width of each wall from side to side.
- Multiply the height by the width to get the square footage of each wall.
- Add up all the walls’ square footage to get the total square footage needed for the cultured natural marble panels.
4. Cut and Install the Panels
Now that you have your cultured marble panels and measured the walls, it’s time to cut and install them.
- Cut the panels to size using a saw. Make sure to wear safety glasses and gloves when cutting the panels.
- Cut holes in the panels for any plumbing fixtures using a drill and hole saw.
- Dry-fit the panels to ensure they fit properly.
- Apply adhesive to the back of every panel, covering the entire surface.
- Press the panels onto the walls, starting at the bottom and working up. Make sure to use a level to ensure the panels are straight.
- Use clamps to hold the panels in place until the adhesive dries.
5. Apply Adhesive
The adhesive used to secure the cultured marble panels to the walls is an important component of the installation process. Here’s how to apply it:
- Apply the adhesive to the back of each panel using a caulk gun or trowel.
- Make sure to cover the entire surface of the panel with adhesive.
- Press the panel onto the wall, ensuring it is straight and level.
- Use clamps to hold the panel until it dries.
6. Finishing Touches
Once the cultured marble wall panels like marble countertops are installed, it’s time to add the finishing touches. This includes:
- Caulking around the edges of the panels to ensure a watertight seal.
- Sealing any gaps between the panels and plumbing fixtures.
- Cleaning the panels thoroughly to remove any adhesive or caulk residue from shower wall.
- Applying a sealer to the panels to protect them from moisture and stains.
7. Clean-Up and Maintenance
After the installation, cleaning up the work area and maintaining the cultured marble products is essential to ensure they last for years to come.
- Clean up any adhesive or caulk residue with a scraper and cleaning solution.
- Dispose of any waste materials properly.
- Regularly clean the shower walls by using a soft cloth or sponge.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners or tools that could scratch or damage the surface of the cultured marble.
How Thick Are Cultured Marble Shower Walls?
The thickness of cultured natural stone marble shower walls can vary depending on the manufacturer and the specific product. But, the standard shower surround made of cultured real marble thickness is usually around 1/4 inch.
It’s important to note that the panels’ thickness can affect the product’s overall weight and may require additional support during installation.
It’s always recommended to check with the manufacturer for the specific thickness of the cultured marble shower walls you plan to install to ensure proper installation and support.
Do Cultured Marble Shower Walls Crack Easily?
Cultured marble shower walls are durable and resistant to cracks but not completely immune to damage. If the installation is done properly and the walls are well-maintained, cultured marble shower surround or tub surround should not crack easily.
In contrast, they can develop cracks if installed improperly or subjected to excessive weight or pressure. Furthermore, if the walls are exposed to extreme temperatures or harsh chemicals, they may damage and crack.
To prevent cracks from occurring, it’s crucial to ensure that the installation process is done correctly and that the walls are properly supported. It’s also essential to avoid placing heavy objects on the walls or using abrasive cleaners that could damage the surface.
By taking proper care with your cultured marble shower walls, you can help ensure their longevity and prevent cracks from occurring.
How Long Does Cultured Marble Last in A Shower?
Cultured marble is a durable and long-lasting material that can withstand the demands of daily use in a shower. Cultured marble shower walls can last many years with proper installation and maintenance.
The lifespan of cultured marble in a shower will depend on various factors, including the materials’ quality, the installation method, and the amount of wear and tear the walls are subjected to. Generally speaking, cultured marble shower walls can last anywhere from 10 to 20 years or more with proper care.
To help extend the lifespan of your cultured marble shower walls, it’s essential to clean them regularly with a mild cleaning solution and never use abrasive cleaners or tools.
Moreover, addressing any issues or damage to the walls as soon as possible is essential to prevent further damage and extend their lifespan. You can enjoy their beauty and durability for many years by caring for marble shower walls made of cultured marble.
Installing cultured marble shower walls is a great way to give your bathroom a high-end look. The installation process can be completed successfully with the right materials and patience.
Following the steps outlined in this guide, you can install your cultured marble shower walls confidently and enjoy your new bathroom for years.
Possibly a Good Match:
- What You Need To Know About Caulking A 3 Piece Shower?
- Are cultured marble bases good for bathrooms?
- Why Should You Caulk Your Marble Shower?